RE: [OM] Slide projector

Subject: RE: [OM] Slide projector
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:46:51 -0800
On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Joel Wilcox wrote:

 I suspect Kodak loved the carrousel because it created the need for all
 those consumables.  For a number of years I would "organize" all my slides
 in trays.  I have a drawer full of boxes of full carrousel trays.  When I
 started shooting more seriously, I determined that it was an absurd waste
 to store slides in this way.

I've often wondered what the point of either is, for domestic use at
least.  I can understand the need for trays/carousels for a lecture or
AV presentation, where the presenter is going to be some distance from
the projector, operating it by remote control, but at home?  Surely the
best way to do it is to sit just behind the projector and have an old
fashioned type of arrangement where you just put the slide into a
sliding carriage, er, slide it across to show it, put the next one in
the other side (which is now sticking out of the projector, slide the
carriage back to show the next slide, take the first slide out of the
carriage and put it back in the box... repeat until out of slides.

This has a few advantages:

You don't need to buy lots of trays/carousels.

You don't have to store your slides in them or load them up before a
show.

You can quickly correct mis-oriented slides.

 Of course now I have little green boxes sitting around in piles all over
 the house.

There is no known cure for that problem.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |

It seems to me that the obvious advantage of a carousel tray is for continuous slide shows. Thatmust have been what Kodak had in mind when they designed the projector. Hasn't anyone ever seen automated slide shows in US national park visitor centers? The other thing was capacity. If you were a sales type making a presentation you did not need an additional person to operate the projector and change slide boxes while you talked. A straight slide tray requires constant attendance to change boxes or move back to the beginning. Kodak just rolled "decontented" their professional design for consumer use. No use designing two systems.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California