RE: [OM] Slide projector

Subject: RE: [OM] Slide projector
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:19:53 +0000
At 13:57 12/7/01, Joel Wilcox wrote:
One of those ineffable differences between Europeans and Americans. You don't want to go there. ;-)

Agreed . . . ineffable!

I suspect Kodak loved the carrousel because it created the need for all those consumables. For a number of years I would "organize" all my slides in trays. I have a drawer full of boxes of full carrousel trays. When I started shooting more seriously, I determined that it was an absurd waste to store slides in this way.

After buying three trays I realized my closet would quickly be overwhelmed by them. Started buying archival pages and storing the slides in binders. Still only have three trays.

BTW, I also have a Rollei P11 "dual" that has a track for 35mm on one side (5x5cm slide mounts) and MF (7x7cm slide mounts) on the other side. Uses the "standard Euro" straight trays (as they are called here). If the size of a carousel tray is its downside, its upside is the locking ring that keeps slides from falling out. It is not hard to spill slides out of a "Euro" tray, especially on the side with the low wall. Except for that, I like the straight trays. As with the carousel trays, I have four long 35mm trays and two MF trays. The slides are kept in archive binders on a bookshelf until it's time to put a "show" together.

Of course now I have little green boxes sitting around in piles all over the house.

Look into using archive pages and three-ring binders for storage. Inexpensive and you can lay an entire archive page on a light table to pick what you want for a show.

-- John