Re: [OM] Airport Security & Using my OMs

Subject: Re: [OM] Airport Security & Using my OMs
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 5 Oct 2001 11:30:55 -0700
On Fri, 05 October 2001, "John Prosper" wrote:

> Those FAA regulations may have been bumped due to the recent bombings in New
> York and Washington DC.

---Snip---

> This is why for air trips, low ISO film is preferred.  If they are going to
> bombard your film catridges with X-rays, at least employ low speed film
> which has a fighting chance of coming out of the radiation bombardment in
> one piece.  Carry a tripod or monopod with you for low light work.
>
> Reagrds,
> John A. Prosper

Yesterday, I posted the entire section of FAA regulation 107.17(e) that deals
with this subject, and it remains unchanged and still in effect as of 10
minutes ago.  (I checked the FAA website)  I won?t repeat it all here, but the
last sentence reads:

 ?If requested by passengers, their photographic equipment and film packages
shall be inspected without exposure to an X-ray system."

Having more than a passing familiarity with legal B.S., let me say with
absolute certainty that the word ?shall? means absolutely, no ifs, ands, buts
or maybes.  ?Shall? is mandatory, so the FAA?s regulations are pretty clear
that a hand inspection cannot be refused.

But I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to argue that point with some
genius who?s doing airport security only until he can get a better-paying job
-- like making slurpies at 7-Eleven.  I guess you could always raise a ruckus
and demand that a supervisor be called, but desppite a fair-sized set of brass
ones, I?m not sure I?m up to making such a scene.

And since I?m not planning to fly with photo gear until next Spring (Atlanta to
Alaska) I?m just hoping things get smoothed out in the meantime, hopefully with
new security personnel who can read and understand the regulations.

And maybe I?ll get some KR25 before it?s all gone.  Good idea and great film.

Walt Wayman