Re: [OM] Airport Security & Using my OMs

Subject: Re: [OM] Airport Security & Using my OMs
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 4 Oct 2001 21:35:30 -0700
On Thu, 04 October 2001, Jim Couch wrote:

> I was VERY insistent both directions. Got the same story both times, sorry
> sir, but under the new security EVERYTHING must go through either the x-ray
> or the security gate. At Sea-Tac, explaining that the film was high speed
> professional
> film and a bit of stonewalling got the job done. At Vegas this was not
> enough. One mistake on my part was that I handed the bag of  film to the guy
> at Vegas before getting an OK from him. After he got tired of the 'obnoxious
> photographer'
> he just threw the film in a basket and popped it through the x-ray machine
> saying "sorry sir, no exceptions." I should have kept the film in my hands
> until I was assured of a hand search.
>
> Jim Couch

It may be a losing battle for a while.  Anyway, here's the text of the
pertinent FAA regulation:

"(e) No certificate holder may use an X-ray system to inspect carry-on or
checked articles unless a sign is posted in a conspicuous place at the
screening station and on the X-ray system which notifies passengers that such
items are being inspected by an X-ray and advises them to remove all X-ray,
scientific, and high-speed film from carry-on and checked articles before
inspection. This sign shall also advise passengers that they may request that
an inspection be made of their photographic equipment and film packages without
exposure to an X-ray system. If the X-ray system exposes any carry-on or
checked articles to more than 1 milliroentgen during the inspection, the
certificate holder shall post a sign which advises passengers to remove film of
all kinds from their articles before inspection. If requested by passengers,
their photographic equipment and film packages shall be inspected without
exposure to an X-ray system."

I doubt carrying a copy would get you much but an argument and, as happened, a
toss of the film onto the conveyor.

Walt Wayman