Re: [OM] Airport Security & Using my OMs

Subject: Re: [OM] Airport Security & Using my OMs
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 13:04:45 -0500
From: Roger Wesson >
I don't think I'd worry too much, honestly.  I've taken 1600 speed film
through many airports, in the UK, Africa and Australia, and never had a
problem.  And that's not even in the hand luggage, but down in the hold
in my main bag.  Because of this I'm convinced the whole x-ray film
fogging thing is a myth!  Hope it proves to be with your films.

It's NOT a myth! While I haven't suffered myself (strictly because I pay so much attention to the experience of others), there are too many pros who have gone through and written about discouraging security experiences to ignore the threat to film.

Using those neat little radiation shield bags is no real help either. In a country reacting to the threat of war/terroist attacks, the airport personnel will simply crank up the radiation level to see what's inside those neat little bags. Say goodbye to your 400+ ISO film, dying in fog hell before your very eyes!

In fact arguing for hand inspection of film may even GUARANTEE a high radiation dosage if the security people start to wondering WHY you want a hand inspection to begin with, and WHAT are you trying to hide.

Regards,
John A. Prosper