RE: [OM] Airport Security & Using my OMs

Subject: RE: [OM] Airport Security & Using my OMs
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 12:07:46 -0600
 Forwarding from another discussion about this stuff:
 - - - -
Then your films have never gone through a CTX scanner, these are the large
ones that a lot of airports now use for hold baggage scanning.

Portland Oregon also uses one for hand baggage.

These machines will totally destroy your film, they destroyed 3 weeks of
film shot for the latest Attenborough series which is how they cam to the
attention of film-makers.

Initially very few airports had them, Manchester was one of the first, the
staff knew nothing about the increased fog level, I used yo carry a print
out from the manufacturers that explained it would destroy film to
persuade airlines to let me hand carry film, we're talking large amounts
here.

Tests I did several years ago showed that up to 500 ISO 5 passes through
an "average" hand baggage scanner has little/no effect, from there on up
it has random and various effects, base density increases, green bias
appears and random lines will also appear.
 - - - -

 -- dan