Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall

Subject: Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 17:56:30 +0000
Yes, it is sad. Fact is, a mall is private property. Even though it's open to the public, it's not a public place. Not the same as a public park owned by a government at some level, although mall owners and their advertisers would like you to believe it's the same as going to a public park (except: make certain you spend *lots* of money when you visit). The mall owners and/or their agents can indeed prohibit photography. The usual reason touted is to keep someone from copying store and mall advertising displays. Some upscale department stores pay big bucks for designers to do their windows.

Not surprised Dave was challenged and equally surprised Tom was not (I agree . . . must have been the kids . . . no pro photog or industrial spy would have his family with him). If some mall rent-a-cop had confiscated (or even tried to confiscate) the camera and film . . . that would be another matter entirely.

-- John