Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall

Subject: Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:21:06 -0500
I actually think I'll go back.  Probably the worst good-to-bad ratio I've
had in years, but fun.  The dynamics were great. I went at a time when
they're weren't many teenagers, but some of my throwaways would have been
great from a different angle.  A group of about 6-7 kids, about evenly mixed
boys and girls.  The flirting ritual was a sight to behold and could have
been such dynamite shots.

Your point on the mother and child was a good one, but didn't even cross my
mind.  Again, I suspect it was being their with my daughters.  Can't look
more innocent then that.

OK, I'm full of stories tonight.  Back in the early 90's, we were moving to
Dallas and for about 5 months I commuted every Sunday night from SC to TX
and back on Friday night.  Since my wife was in school, she couldn't handle
an 8 month old and an 18 month old, so the 18 month old did the trip with me
every week -- we had an apartment and she went to daycare.  Riding on my lap
on the airplane.  We got in about midnight on Sunday nights.  We were on our
way to the apartment and I stopped for gas.  There was a young woman, early
20's, just standing outside the door of the Quikmart crying as I started to
drive away.  I rolled down the window and asked if I could help.  At first,
she was going to blow me off -- a 30 something guy, until she noticed
Shannon asleep in the back.  She must have been in a tough situation, as she
asked for a ride to her apartment, about 4 or 5 miles away, through a rough
part of town.

In the car, I got the story out of her.  She'd been with her boyfriend in
his truck when she finally got the courage to tell him she was pregnant.  He
hadn't said a word, just pulled to the side of the road, reached over her
and opened her door.  Pushed her out into the street and drove off.

I just couldn't believe it.  I made sure she got home safely, but always
wondered what happened.

Tom