Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall

Subject: Re: [OM] A few shots at the mall
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 08:42:35 +0000
"John A. Lind" wrote:

> Yes, it is sad.  Fact is, a mall is private property.  Even though it's
> open to the public, it's not a public place.  Not the same as a public park
> owned by a government at some level, although mall owners and their
> advertisers would like you to believe it's the same as going to a public
> park (except: make certain you spend *lots* of money when you visit).  The
> mall owners and/or their agents can indeed prohibit photography.  The usual
> reason touted is to keep someone from copying store and mall advertising
> displays.  Some upscale department stores pay big bucks for designers to do
> their windows.

It may be worth the effort to go to the mall's manager on duty and ask
permission before taking photos.

Also, don't assume that taking photos in public parks is ok either. For
example, at the National Arboretum, you need permission, since it is a
popular site for professional portraits. This applies to many other
parks in the US.

--
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright