Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:27:25 EDT
In a message dated 7/17/01 10:04:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mzimmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > OM-2S/OM-2SP - similar in construction to the OM-4. Adds programmed
>  > auto exposure and spot metering in manual mode to the features of
>  > the OM-2(n).
>
>  I've heard that this model is more prone to problems than are the
>  OM-1, 2 (non-S/SP), 3, or 4 models. Which isn't to suggest that it's
>  a piece of junk, of course. Just that some examples of this model
>  have "issues."
>
>  But I cannot say from personal experience whether there's much truth
>  to these reports.

In a recent discussion of this "problem" on the list, contributors seemed to
be of the opinion that this reputation is over-stated.  Chances are, if you
find a fully functioning body, it will continue to function just fine.  Most
electronic failures/problems occur early in the life of electronics gizmos.

Another difference between the OM-2S and OM-1, -1n, -2, -2n.  It has an LED
display in the viewfinder where the others have match needle metering.  Some
folks really like their match needle metering (me too, but I'm getting used
to my OM-2S).

And... there is a shorter battery life in the OM-2S.  Not a major thing, as
a) the 357s are relatively cheap, esp. if you buy them in bulk, and b) if you
always carry spares, you'll never be "down".  This is a non-issue for me -- I
like the OM-2S that much.

Rich