Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:28:28 -0400
Cc: DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:55:30 -0600 "Daniel J. Mitchell"
<DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>  What would people recommend as a replacement? It's easy enough to find
> other used OM-10 bodies around here, but while I'm replacing things I'm
> tempted to look at upgrading it to something newer/improved.
>
>  What's the advantages of an OM1/2(n/s/etc)/3/4 over the OM-10? I've
looked
> at spec sheets/the stuff on zuiko.com, and it's all starting to get a
bit
> confusing, to be completely honest. I've got the manual adapter for my
> OM-10, so I don't think there's any obvious basic functional
improvements,
> though I could well be missing something.. How would a new OM-2000
compare>

Dan,

A short course on OM bodies and how they compare to your OM-10:

OM-1/OM-1n: all -mechanical, extremely rugged. The first OM (and the last
OM operating on the planet will probably be an OM-1n). No auto exposure.
the earliest models didn't accept motors or winders, but could be
upgraded.
OM-2/OM-2n - similar construction to the OM-1. Adds aperture priority
exposure and TTL flash
OM-2S/OM-2SP - similar in construction to the OM-4. Adds programmed auto
exposure and spot metering in manual mode to the features of the OM-2(n).
Motor drives will only go to 3.5fps, as opposed to the 5fps available on
most other OMs. Accepts 2-series screens without modification.
OM-3/OM-3Ti - all mechanical including shutter. Has the manual exposure
version of the OM-4's spot and multi-spot metering system. Finder
dioptric correction. Accepts 2-series screens without modification. The
OM-3Ti adds TTL flash.
OM-4/OM-4Ti - Aperture priority auto, spot and multi-spot metering.
Finder dioptric correction. Accepts 2-series screens without
modification.
OM-10 - You already know about this one.
OM-G/OM-20 - basically an upgraded OM-10 with manual shutter speed
selections available in the OM-customary around-the-lens-mount shutter
speed ring. Accepts the 5fps motor drives (the OM-10 doesn't).
OM-F/OM-30 - similar features to the OM-G/20, but adds a focus assist
lights in the finder and auto focuses with the special 35-70/4 AF lens
OM-PC/OM-40 - lots of features - DX film speed setting, aperture
priority, programmed and manual exposure. ESP (simple matrix) metering.
TTL flash
OM2000 - made by Cosina. Accepts Zuiko lenses, but little else from the
system. No motor drive or winder capability. Provides the fastest flash
synch of any OM (1/125), and has a double exposure lever.

If you ask me, assuming a fairly limited budget, I'd look for a decent
OM-2n.

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings