Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 04:54:31 -0700
Hi Dan:

I would agree with all of Jim's points on prospective replacements.

For around $200 (USD) you could purchase a clean OM-2n or OM-2S.  Both
will offer you advanced features, such as TTL flash control, and
interchangeable focusing screens.

The OM-2n has an actual on-off switch.  The OM-2S is "always on" which
has created high battery usage for some list members.  I have not had
this problem with my OM-2S, but I am careful to set the shutter speed to
"Bulb" before putting it away.

The OM-2S has a fixed hot shoe, and a built-in connector for the Olympus
TTL cords.  The OM-2n has a removable hot shoe, and the correct shoe
(Shoe 4) is becoming more difficult to find, and costs $20-25.  To use
TTL flash off-camera requires an Auto TTL connector 4, which is very
hard to find.  The 2S will also accept the "2" series focusing screens
(brighter view) has a spot meter (manual mode only), and a program mode
that sets both shutter speed and aperture.

The OM-2000 has been discontinued, and has very little in common with
any other OM.  It is also completely manual.

I would disagree with Jim about *-Bay.  I would buy from a reputable
dealer in used equipment.  List member Skip William's has an excellent
list of links, and a rating for most of the major dealers. I just
ordered a (chrome-body) OM-2n from KEH (Grade EX) for $179, w/o Shoe 4.
A bargain grade OM-2n is $129.

You might want to consider having the OM-10 repaired, and use it as a
second body.  List members Clint (who responded to your post) and John
H. could do an excellent job of overhauling your OM-10.  John lists a
price of $89 for a CLA, and I expect Clint is somewhere around there.

Good Luck!

Bill Stanke
Moscow, Idaho

"Timpe, Jim" wrote:

> [...]