Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:42:39 +0000
At 15:55 7/17/01, you wrote:
 So (see other thread) my old OM-10 seems to have finally got sticky enough
that it's beyond my abilities to repair, and it sounds like a sufficiently
complex repair that the cost of that is getting up to where I may as well
just buy another on. (sigh)

 What would people recommend as a replacement? It's easy enough to find
other used OM-10 bodies around here, but while I'm replacing things I'm
tempted to look at upgrading it to something newer/improved.

 What's the advantages of an OM1/2(n/s/etc)/3/4 over the OM-10? I've looked
at spec sheets/the stuff on zuiko.com, and it's all starting to get a bit
confusing, to be completely honest. I've got the manual adapter for my
OM-10, so I don't think there's any obvious basic functional improvements,
though I could well be missing something.. How would a new OM-2000 compare?

 any advice will be very gratefully received..

 -- dan

I advise against the OM-2000; it was made by Cosina and rebadged with Oly's name. A number of other camera manufacturers have a bottom end camera body that is strangely very similar to it.

Top on my list for cost versus features would be an OM-2S in "excellent" or better condition. It's much more a cousin to the OM-4[T] than an evolution of the OM-2[n]. Even though it was targeted at the high end "pro-sumer" its build materials and quality is along side the pro level "single digit" bodies.

Has a built-in hot shoe with TTL control of "T" series flashes, aperture priority AE, manual "spot" metering (no weighted averaging in manual mode; just the spot), and a "program mode" (which I do not use). The OM-2S is a backup to my OM-4 and for most uses (manual metering is different) it works just the same at about half the price of an OM-4. The reason I suggest "excellent" or better versus a "beater" is non-availability of any replacement circuit boards for it. I would want one that had been used lightly and cared for. IMO the battery consumption issue, even with the green "flash ready" LED (uses the camera batteries instead of the flash batteries to illuminate it) is more talked about than a problem. If you are shooting things like weddings, have a flash mounted, and turned *on* for 8-10 hours at a time, twice or thrice a weekend, it might be more of an issue . . . and the "green LED" bodies can be converted to the "red LED" which powers it from the flash batteries.

-- John