Re: [OM] 100/2 vs 90/2

Subject: Re: [OM] 100/2 vs 90/2
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 11:11:09 +1000
Could not agree more. Many pro musos and commercial photographers have
little interest in the 'art' - for them it's a job. Few commercial photogs
want to talk gear unless it will make them money. Most are interested in a
better tripod or strobe, rather than a better lens. Most of us are in it
for a whole different reason.
One art photographer I admire is Bill Brandt. I used to wonder how he got
such incredible depth of field in beautifully composed pix. I assumed of
course that he was using expensive wide angle lenses, etc. No. I eventually
discovered that he used a beat-up old folder fitted with an ancient lens he
found in a box somewhere. It gave him the effect he wanted, despite the
hard work involved in operating the rig. Very humbling.
I guess the project on the collectors guide shows that we mostly just enjoy
the equipment and hope that it will work for us occasionally, like it does
for those who have that 'gift.'
AndrewF