Re: Re: [OM] 350mm F2.8

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] 350mm F2.8
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:29:55 -0700
George S. wrote:

> Don't fall all over yourself apologizing for ME, please....

Your points are well taken, George.  Since I didn't see the original
messages posted by John, maybe I didn't get the "full story" and am
incorrect in how I think things happened.  If so, I *certainly* stand
corrected!

However, I *personally* have been the subject of offlist "flames" from list
members (no names mentioned) who feel they deserve some sort of "special
consideration," either first-chance or price, when I sell my stuff.  That,
frankly, is why I no longer post my for sale stuff to the list.

Did that happen in John's case?  Now I'm not so sure!  Again, if I'm out of
line or got it wrong, I humbly apologize.

This discussion DOES bring up something that I suggested awhile back.  It
didn't happen then, so I'm not hopeful it'll happen now, but IMHO I think
it would be *very* helpful to everyone (*especially* new members)...

Why couldn't there be a "List Rules" message that would be posted on a
regular basis (say monthly?) that would spell out the "rules" 'round
here???  It might take a bit of time to draft the thing up the first time,
but having it posted could be automated.  Such a message could spell out
the "rules" for posting for sale messages, as well as anything else which
we should all be reminded of from time to time (like, for instance, keeping
our quotes trimmed for the digest readers, to tie-into 'nuther current
thread).

No, I certainly *don't* feel such a "List Rules" message would totally
prevent the occassional misunderstanding, difference of opinions, off-topic
wanderings, or failure-to-trim that occurs.  It's the nature of the beast
we belong to.  But, I certainly *do* feel it would help some!

> I'm not attacking John, really, just pointing out to you that there's no
100%
> black and white, right and wrong as your apology makes it seem. There's
> several points of view here, I'm sure; and none (including my own) is
100%
> "right".

Absolutely right!  And, like you, I *don't* think I'm 100% "right" all the
time.  If, in this instance, I'm "wrong" then I humbly apologize.

Regards,

Chris