Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?

Subject: Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:58:07 -0000
Ray Moth says

I've owned a reasonably well-featured P&S for the past 3 years: a
Leica
Mini Zoom. This camera has a particularly good 35-70mm lens, for
sharpness and contrast, although it can be very prone to flare. It has
auto-focus and auto-exposure program mode only, with absolutely no
feedback on anything the camera has decided for itself. It's got some
override features (flash off, flash on, infinity & no flash, +2ev,
pre-flash to avoid red-eye, etc.) but I find the degree of control
inadequate. The built-in flash has the usual problems of being fixed
and underpowered. The viewfinder is good but not great.

My problem is, I think I'm developing an aversion to this camera! Even
though its results can be very good, I don't feel confident using it.
I'd much rather lug an SLR with a few extra lenses in a bag than use
the Mini Zoom. It's uncomfortable, fiddly, unfriendly and uninspiring.
<<<<<<

(Sorry Simon, couldn't snip without losing a relevant bit))

..and Ray asks
> Do other listees have similar feelings about P&S cameras?

Yes. And just in case the message isn't entirely clear, yes, yes and
yes. To all of Ray's points.

My first Oly was a 35RC. After a clunky Exa (baby Exakta) with a
couple of lenses it was wonderful having a small box to carry around,
but the operator lacked the skills to make the most of it. Then I
graduated to an OM1n (sorry, crossing threads here!) because I wanted
long and short lenses, it was lovely to have the "proper" system to
use and I got better at photography as a result.

But I needed something small and reasonably bullet-proof to take to
drunken orgies, on canal boats etc and went for an Oly AF1 (not sure
what they're called in the U.S.) and everything Ray said about his
Leica applies, except that it's not quite as controllable (can't
suppress the flash, for example). But what the hell, I got a lot of
pix from places that I wouldn't have taken the OMs to.

Last year I decided to try APS, wanting a compact camera that would
travel easily by bicycle up mountains (the owner being anything but
compact has a great deal of trouble cycling up mountains!). I suffered
a moment of weakness to the Oly faith, but ended up with an Oly I-Zoom
something on the recommendation of the shop staff. And Ray's comments
are even truer, with the added nuisance of shutter lag, and it seems
to take an age to switch on. The lens is lovely though, and in good
outdoor light it can take great pix.

So now I've gone retro. Ordered a 35RD from Jaap in the hope that the
f/1.7 lens will be good for available darkness pix, and found the old
little Rollei flash that served me well with the 35RC, 25 years ago.
So we'll see how it goes.

But... for last year's cycle tour I abandoned the P&Ss, took OM4Ti
with 35-70 f/3.6 and a T20. (Plus a 135 and 24 which mostly stayed in
the bag). And got some lovely shots. So next bike trip I might try the
35-70/3.5-4.5 to save weight and leave the 24 and 135 at home.

So yes Ray, I do find P&Ss very frustrating, but they do have their
uses. All life is compromise, I guess.

John