Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?

Subject: Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:31:55 -0700
On 10 Jan 2001, at 2:25, Ray Moth wrote:

> My problem is, I think I'm developing an aversion to this camera! Even
> though its results can be very good, I don't feel confident using it. I'd
> much rather lug an SLR with a few extra lenses in a bag than use the Mini
> Zoom. It's uncomfortable, fiddly, unfriendly and uninspiring.
>
> Do other listees have similar feelings about P&S cameras?

I bought my youngest daughter (16) an Olympus Newpic Zoom 60 APS
for Christmas.  (Side Note:  Got it from Olympus Guy...  great service!)
Because it was a display camera, I tried it out before wrapping it.  It was
fun to play with, but....

1.  I kept wanting to change the lens
2.  I couldn't put my T20 on it
3.  No place to plug-in the Bounce Grip 2 (probably would've looked
pretty silly mounted on the BG2, anyway!)
4.  I kept hunting for the film advance and rewind levers
5.  It just didn't feel *right* carrying 'round something that small and light
6.  Nobody stared at me while I was using it (pretty common when I'm
carrying around all my gear)
7.  Nobody asked me if I'm a pro photog (also pretty common when I'm
carrying around all my gear)
8.  I just didn't feel as "cool" as when I use my OM equipment

'Nuther words, I think I'll stay with what I've got.  Maybe, someday, I'll
buy myself an itty-bitty camera....  maybe an XA or one of the 35's...
but I'd much rather use the OM stuff.

Regards,

Chris
(Who humbly apologizes to the XA and 35 fans for equating those
cameras to the P&S ones!)

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill