Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S? (Ricoh GR1)

Subject: Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S? (Ricoh GR1)
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:08:32 -0000
Harry Cutting Photography wrote:
> Has anyone ever used the Ricoh GR-1...Would be interested in hearing from
anyone
> who has actually used one, and learning if it is still available...

I've had mine about six months and I'm delighted with it, carrying it
everywhere in my inside jacket pocket. Robert White in London has set
himself up as a sort of unofficial exporters to US buyers, so you'd have to
return it to him in the event of a warranty repair. The current model is a
GR1S, the same as the GR1 but with provision to attach a lens hood and
filters. I think his website is www.robertwhite.co.uk or something very
close to it.

It has a variety of exposure and autofocus overrides but you have to use it
regularly to remember what and where they are. The tiny flash isn't very
powerful and it's most useful feature is that it can be permanently switched
off, unlike most other p&s varieties, where you have to remember to poke a
sequence of buttons to keep it from flashing. It feels solid and well-made,
yet to a casual observer it looks like a toy camera and using it attracts
little attention, at least in the case of a black one.

There's some info about it on my website - follow the links from General
Photography page - www.keithberry.telinco.co.uk but there's a better one -
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.leighs/ perhaps.

Regards,
Keith Berry