Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?

Subject: Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:15:34 -0800 (PST)
Simon Evans wrote:
Every camera type has its strengths and weaknesses. If an SLR is what
you're missing, then carry one with you. You can't expect a $100 p&s do
the same, and _definitely_ not one with a zoom that has max apertures
like f5.6 and f7! . . . (snip) . . . Let's face it Ray, you're wanting
a p&s camera that isn't really a p&s camera at all (in the sense that
it is most commonly used). While Leicas are surely wonderful tools,
isn't an OM near enough to what you describe? Why not treat one of your
OM bodies as a p&s - attach a 50mm or 35-70, and put a T20 in your
pocket. I think that it would get you a greater number of satisfactory
images, which offsets the increased size & weight. BTW a Leica M isn't
much smaller or lighter, if at all.
Fair comment. That's what I find myself doing more and more, actually:
my portable kit of choice is OM-2S with ISO 400 film, 50/3.5 macro and
28/2.8  My aspirations for a compact 35mm camera with manual controls
may be unrealistic, since that is not the path that development has
taken for the last 15 years or so. Such a camera would not, as you say,
be a P&S - point & shoot - and I shouldn't have referred to it in that
way.

Regards,

=====
Ray