[OM] Olympus E-10 (was Re: Battery question)

Subject: [OM] Olympus E-10 (was Re: Battery question)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:55:33 -0700
At 11:24 PM 12/8/2000 -0700, Chris O'Neill wrote:

[snip]

>McBain's has the E-10 and dye-sub on display?!?!?  Holy, sh*t, Garth!
>Why didn't ya SAY so?!?!?  Jeff (my favorite McBain's salesperson) said
>weeks ago that they "might" get it in, but I hadn't heard anything since.
>
>Anyone wanna guess where *I* can be found tomorrow morning?!?!?  :-)

Hope it's still there.  They also have the new Fuji (I *think* it's the FinePix
4900 with 6x optical zoom), which looks a lot like the Olympus Centurion-S,
except it's digital (has the same controls as the FinePix 4700, albeit placed
differently, and is a kick-ass little digi...).

E-10s are gonna be scarce for awhile, I'm afraid -- Oly's got a winner there.
The dye-sub printer was $1,999.00 CDN, and produced the most amazing prints
I've ever seen.  All-in variable cost for an 8x10 glossy is about $3.00 CDN,
which isn't bad at all (and it's portable!).

Ken Norton's waxed lyrical about the potential for selling such prints "live"
at various functions (weddings etc.).  While I think that's a good idea, I have
no idea just how fast the E-10 outputs a print.  If it's several minutes per
print, you could conceivably have a lot of increasingly frustrated people lined
up impatiently waiting their turn.  Mind you, if you were simply outputting
samples, and were taking orders on the spot based on the samples...

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/, or
   http://www.enable.org/~gallery/