Re: [OM] Olympus E-10 (was Re: Battery question)

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-10 (was Re: Battery question)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 11:04:39 -0700
On 9 Dec 2000, at 10:55, Garth Wood wrote:

> Hope it's still there.

Me too!

> They also have the new Fuji (I *think* it's the FinePix 4900 with 6x
> optical zoom), which looks a lot like the Olympus Centurion-S, except
> it's digital (has the same controls as the FinePix 4700, albeit placed
> differently, and is a kick-ass little digi...).

Will look at the Fuji, too, but what I'm *really* trying to do is get my
girlfriend interested in the Olympus gear.  So far, she's not "bit" at the
OM line...  too hooked on the Pentax MF stuff, I suppose...  but she
does want to eventually get a digital, so I thought I'd show her the E10.
Thus far, she's been most impressed with the high-end Sony Mavica
cameras...  they seem to have the most features she's interested in...
but the E10 sounds like one heckuva digital so I'll show her that.

> E-10s are gonna be scarce for awhile, I'm afraid -- Oly's got a winner
> there.  The dye-sub printer was $1,999.00 CDN, and produced the most
> amazing prints I've ever seen.  All-in variable cost for an 8x10 glossy
> is about $3.00 CDN, which isn't bad at all (and it's portable!).

Jeff (the McBain's salesperson) raves 'bout the Oly E10 and dye-sub
printer.  Says they're the best there is!  Of course, all of this stuff is
WAAAAAY beyond my means, but ya can't blame a fella for drooling,
can ya?!?!?  :-)

> Ken Norton's waxed lyrical about the potential for selling such prints
> "live" at various functions (weddings etc.).  While I think that's a
> good idea, I have no idea just how fast the E-10 outputs a print.  If
> it's several minutes per print, you could conceivably have a lot of
> increasingly frustrated people lined up impatiently waiting their turn.
> Mind you, if you were simply outputting samples, and were taking orders
> on the spot based on the samples...

You might be right but, then again, having to wait a few minutes is
better than having to wait days (weeks?).  I think the attraction would be
for people to "place their order" then go about their business (e.g.
enjoying the wedding reception" and coming back in awhile to pick-up
their order.

> "A bad day doing photography is better than a good day doing just about
> anything else."

AMEN!!!!  S'long as you add the "when it's an OM camera" caveat!  :-)))

Heading to McBain's any minute now...

Regards,

Chris

---