RE: [OM] photo printers

Subject: RE: [OM] photo printers
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:37:42 -0800
From: "Ron Spolarich" <caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jan Steinman replied to Buddy Walters:

<<Also bad news for Windows users -- Microsoft has endorsed the sRGB
(the "s" seems to be for "stupid" :-) color space as their standard.
This is a "least common denominator" color space...>>

Maybe I'm misinformed but [I get]...
WYSIWYG on my wintel machine.

Ron, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't possible, only that you have to do some goofing around to keep from being stuck in "LCD Computing."

This disease has spread so much that $1700 scanners were sold with sRGB as the only color-managed workspace! (And it took ten months and hundreds of cries of anguish on the Nikon Tech Support BBS to get them to change when between NikonScan 2.2 and 2.5.)

So please don't misunderstand me -- of course it is possible. But as Buddy (and numerous friends of mine) point out, getting color matching on Wintel systems doesn't "just happen" like it does on the Mac.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>