RE: [OM] photo printers

Subject: RE: [OM] photo printers
From: "Ron Spolarich" <caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:41:03 -0500
<<Jan replied:

<<Ron, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't possible, only that you
have to do some goofing around to keep from being stuck in "LCD
Computing."

This disease has spread so much that $1700 scanners were sold with
sRGB as the only color-managed workspace! (And it took ten months and
hundreds of cries of anguish on the Nikon Tech Support BBS to get
them to change when between NikonScan 2.2 and 2.5.)

So please don't misunderstand me -- of course it is possible. But as
Buddy (and numerous friends of mine) point out, getting color
matching on Wintel systems doesn't "just happen" like it does on the
Mac.>>

The "goofing around" you mentioned... there was aplenty!  I came upon the
following webpage in search of creating the correct working space.
http://welcome.to/computerdarkroom is the site.  To be quite honest, I've
had to reread this stuff at least a dozen times to understand what I'm
doing.  As Buddy noted in his post, there is definitely a learning curve.

Not sure if you're using a Nikon LS30.  If so, the above site has a paper on
multiple-sample scanning for the LS30 that I'm anxious to try to see if
there's any discernable difference.

BTW:  I was weaned on a LISA!  The G4 just took toooooo long to arrive!

RonS

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>