RE: [OM] photo printers

Subject: RE: [OM] photo printers
From: "Ron Spolarich" <caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:52:19 -0500
Jan Steinman replied to Buddy Walters:

<<Also bad news for Windows users -- Microsoft has endorsed the sRGB
(the "s" seems to be for "stupid" :-) color space as their standard.
This is a "least common denominator" color space, carefully chosen to
have no more gamut than the cheapest 13" VGA monitor from Thailand.
If you have a film scanner worth more than a few hundred dollars, or
a nice Trinitron monitor, or want to use CMYK archival ink, your
color gamut is clipped when you use sRGB.>>

Maybe I'm misinformed but I'm running Win98SE and PS5.5. Using the Adobe
Gamma feature I can calibrate my 19" Viewsonic.  Then in PS5.5 I can setup
my working space for Adobe RGB 98 therefore my color gamut is wider than
sRGB.  (This may only be true with PS5.5) When I print the image data will
be converted by Photoshop from Adobe RGB 98 space to the Epson Stylus Photo
1200 space and sent to the printer driver. The printer driver takes this
modified RGB image data and converts it to CcYMmK using a color look up
table specific to the printer/ink/paper choice.

WYSIWYG on my wintel machine.

RonS