Re: [OM] photo printers

Subject: Re: [OM] photo printers
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:53:24 -0800
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...the two main considerations would be print quality
and cost (printer, paper, ink/colors).

You may also be concerned with print longevity. Most "stock" ink/paper combinations don't last very long -- as little as a few months in sunlight, but no more than a few years if displayed, and apparently not a lot longer even if kept in the dark.

Third-party ink/paper combinations are available that do better, but (I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong) I've only seen them for Epson printers. I don't know if this is because Epson is simply the largest market for these materials, of perhaps if Epson stock media is particularly prone to degradation.

All stock inks for consumer-grade printers use organic dye, which fades. Third-party inks, and those in some expensive wide-format printers use inorganic pigment ink, which is much more resistant to fading.

More than you ever wanted to know on this topic is available at:

  <http://www.wilhelm-research.com>

... I would appreciate any info on what printers
I should consider.

Depending on your budget, consider the Epson four-digit printer (3000, 5000, 9000). These are well-supported in the third-party ink market. These run from well under $1,000 to over $14,000, depending on options.

Or if you want to make a business of it, consider the Roland wide-format printers, since archival inks and papers are directly supported by Roland, complete with dozens of ICC color profiles for recommended combinations of inks, substrates, and dot density. Roland also has one of the widest color gamuts with its Pantone Hexachrome certified six-color ink sets.

Finally, if money is no object, look at Scitex Iris printers, but even if you pick up a bargain used one, be aware that you can buy an Epson 3000 every month for the cost of the Iris maintenance agreement!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>