[OM] photo printers

Subject: [OM] photo printers
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 02:43:13 -0800
Cc: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Jan,

Why is it when I try to make a statement that basically is trying to explain
fact and quash
myth do you accuse me of starting platform war?  When people make statements of
opinion as
if they were fact all it does is maintain a hostile view of differing opinions.
Certainly
you find your platform easier for you to use.  I find it easier for me to use
things I'm
more familiar with too.  However I have a Mac G3 (which was practically given
to me) which I
use on occasions for various things.  I set the color up on it the exact same
way I set the
color up on the Windows machine.  Basically I used the Adobe Gamma.  Both
machines have
IIyama Pro 450 monitors.  However I have a much higher quality video card in
the PC.  ATI
does not make a card like this for the G3 or G4. The G3 has a firewire (came
with the box).
So I use it for dumping digital video.  I use both Adobe Premiere and Photoshop
on both
machines.  Sometimes I almost forget which machine I'm working on.  The colors
are
identical.  My very old original 7 year old genuine high quality IBM PS/2
keyboard is the
biggest difference.  Older IBM keyboards are of exceptional quality.  Back in
'92 IBM sold
them for over $400.  No one including IBM now makes a keyboard of this quality.
  So that's
the biggest difference in using both machines.  Both are connected to the same
color printer
which is a Postscript Espon 1520.  The output is identical.  I get output from
other Mac
users (graphic artists) and their color is so far off sometimes they offer to
pay me to
correct it for them.  Their under color is totally screwed up.  They don't even
know how to
use the out of gamut tool in Photoshop.  They have heavy blacks mixed into CYM.
 Color
management is not platform dependent.  The operator must understand color.  Too
many in this
industry have not learned professional pre-press.

As to why many graphic artists prefer Macs over PCs is evident to me based upon
the fact
that most graphic artists are female.  It seems that Apple has been extremely
successful in
marketing their products in a female dominated market.  This was not done by
accident.
Again, I'm just stating what appears obvious to me and am by no means trying to
be
politically insensitive.  I think it might be accurate to say that almost all
professional
35mm photographers shoot with Nikon or Canon.  I, like many on this list,
prefer the feel
and quality of an OM system.  Although I shoot many jobs with a Nikon N90s, I
would prefer
to use an OM if I had the same arsenal of lenses available to me. One of these
days I'm
going to have to invest in a Nikon body.  I certainly do not get into arguments
with Nikon
or Canon users because I prefer an OM. However if a Nikon or Canon user made
statements that
the OM system is harder to use than the Canon or Nikon I would probably realize
that this
photographer has never learned to use a manual focus camera.  That's ok.
However I
personally think it is important to learn how to use a manual focus camera.
Hey that's just
my opinion.  Why do you think I'm trying to start a platform war?

My number one complaint about the Mac is that all of the boards and add on
pieces are so
damn much more expensive than the Windows equivalent.  My ATI All In Wonder Pro
32mb cost
about $199 for the PC.  I could not even get one like that for the G3 at any
price. I had to
add a SCSI board into the G3 and it cost much more than I had in mind.  I
traded  some video
equipment probably worth about $500 for the G3 400 with 256mb about 4 months
ago to an
associate who got a new G4.  So I feel pretty good about it overall.  But it
does not
perform nearly as fast as my new $1500 600mhz PIII with 256mb and a 133mhz bus.
 The G3 is
very close in performance to my old 366mhz PII. Although the G3 does have a
much more
stylish look, and the case is of very high quality. And it is very easy to work
on.  It did
come with the firewire which I really like. (probably the reason I wanted it)

As to my statement in my post about the resurgence of RGB, I think you don't
understand
digital photographic process color.  Digital photographic process color
printing uses the
same photographic paper as one does with a color enlarger.  It is not ink. It's
photographic process. Essentially this process uses an imager similar to a CRT
to project
the image to the photographic paper. Since a CRT is an RGB based piece of
hardware then the
color must be optimized as RGB.

I have no reason to be loose with facts. I'm trying to make a positive
contribution to this
list as so many others have done. Everything I write is accurate to my best
knowledge. Some
of the things I say are obviously just my opinion. I hope one can realize that
without
thinking that I'm trying to be hostile towards their opinions.

Phillip Franklin