Re: [OM] TRI-X or T-MAX 400

Subject: Re: [OM] TRI-X or T-MAX 400
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:40:38 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, John Pendley wrote:

|Christopher Biggs wrote:
|
|> John Pendley <jpendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

|> > For B&W, it used to be Tri-X all the way--in HC110, 1 to 31.  I've been out
|> > of it for awhile, so don't know about T-MAX.  A lot of people seem to like
|> > it.  But I got beautiful 11x14's with Tri-X, processed right.
|>
|> T-Max does magic with grain structure to give finer grain at the same
|> speed.   The hidden cost is that it's less "tolerant" of exposure and
|> processing variations.  Some people consider that the T-Max films are
|> best left for the studio where everything is under perfect control,
|> while Tri-X still rules in the field.
|>
|> > As for color, you can't beat Velvia.
|>
|> But not for people, and certainly not indoors!
|>
|> A low contrast portrait film like Kodak Portra or Fuji NPH is
|> indicated for that application.
|
|Hi, Christopher,
|Thanks for the feedback, especially re: Tri-X.  I'd have spotted the
limitations of Velvia
|if I shot people, or if I shot indoors.  (Actually, I do, but usually with a
Stylus and
|print film.)  But almost all my "serious" stuff is landscapes/nature, etc.  I
have tried
|the new Ektachrome 100VS.  It's terrific, and faster, but it hasn't yet won me
over from
|Velvia.  Given the difference in color rendition between the two, it'll
probably end up
|being a matter of choosing one or the other based on application.
|John

For portrait photographic prints, try Agfa's Portrait 160, Fuji NGH
160, or Kodak Portra.  Both Fuji and Kodak also market 400 ISO
versions of these films.  For portrait transparencies, try Fuji Astia
or Kodak Elite; both are 100 ISO.

For landscapes/nature, the *BIG NEWS* is that Fuji has a brand new
transparency film called *Provia 100F (RDP III)* which is *the most
grainless film ever made*.  RMS granularity index = 8!: Velvia's &
Kodachrome 25 = 9.  It is also said to be extremely pushable: up to 2
stops! with little efect on color and tone.  I am still awaiting my
first brick of this material from B&H.  Undoubtedly, Fuji is going to
incorporate the new "Super-Fine Crystal" emulsion technology employed
in Provia 100F into all their professional slide films, including
Velvia, for even sharper slide films.

I strongly suspect Kodak is trying to cook up a response to all this,
as evidenced by their very recent cancellation of their Kodachrome 25
& 64 lines.

When the film giants slug it out, photographers win! ;-D