[OM] Re: Ebay Scams and persoanl attacks

Subject: [OM] Re: Ebay Scams and persoanl attacks
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:19:00 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:03:00 -0800, Phillip Franklin wrote:

>Barry,
>
>If you would have actually read my post and not just taken it out of context
>to support your
>views I would certainly be open to your opinions and criticisms of my logic.

I did read your entire post and considered it prior to responding.

> I've enjoyed
>your viewpoints in this forum in the past and hope to in the future.

Thank you.

> But to infer that I
>have taken a pot shot at Gary's integrity (or anyone else's on the list) is an
>unfair and
>could be viewed as an inflammatory statement.

Unfortunately, there was no other way to read the offending sentence
("I know you must be a merchant on the eBay thing and therefore are
going to try and depict this as safe way to transact business").
Given that this was at the beginning of a post with the subject "EBAY
SCAMS", the implied conflict of interest seemed clearer. While you
did reaffirm your faith in Gary's integrity further into the post,
your initial statement suggested that Gary's defense of eBay might be
due to his financial interest as an eBay seller. I considered that an
unfair potshot and said so.

> So your trying to attack me and accuse me of taking a pot shot
>at Gary is not only unwarranted and inflammatory it is a childish and immature
>way of
>debating your point.  It only lends less credence to your argument. And
>because it appears
>that instead of debating the point fairly, you have to fall to the level of
>using
>inflammatory statements.  It does not work on me and I will call you on it or
>anyone else
>who has to drop to those tactics.  Hopefully you will see my point here. I
>also hope that we
>are all mature enough to disagree in an intelligent and mature way. It
>certainly takes the
>fun out of this when one uses personal assaults one another.

I consider the above paragraph hyperbole. I didn't inflame, but
quoted your own words. I didn't, in fact, say anything at all about
you. Perhaps it is you who should re-read my post.

>  Everyone is
>entitled to their own opinion and should feel free to discuss them with out
>having to resort
>to personal flames.

Agreed.

>The only other thing I want to add here is again defending my position on
>eBay. Barry your
>precautions on buying online are very logical and make good business sense.
>However it
>seems to make work out of something that one should not even have to think
>about.  If I had
>to do an investigation on every one I engage in business with then I would be
>in the
>investigation business.

I would argue that any purchase of used camera equipment is
necessarily an investigation. Of course, if you have a local shop
that offers reasonable prices on Zuiko lenses, then you should avoid
buying online. I sure would. However, if you're out in the sticks
where they say gesundheit every time you say Zuiko, then buying
online becomes a viable option.

>Just remember because you like eBay and the hype says it's popular don't
>assume that everyone shares your opinion.

It isn't the hype that says its popular, its the number of users. In
fact, the hype I see seems to suggest its full of scam artists, a
conclusion that runs contrary to my experience. And FWIW, you're
certainly free not to buy on eBay, like eBay, or even acknowledge
their existence. It'll make the items I buy cheaper.

Also worth noting is that through careful analysis of US election
results, I have discovered that an alarming number of people disagree
with my opinions, and apparently have since I began voting. Despite
that fact, I will still stroll into the polling station this fall and
cast my ballot in naive hopes that they've all seen the errors of
their ways and will vote properly this time.

>Respectively
>Phillip Franklin

Respectfully,

BBB