[OM] Ebay Scams and persoanl attacks

Subject: [OM] Ebay Scams and persoanl attacks
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:03:00 -0800
Barry,

If you would have actually read my post and not just taken it out of context to
support your
views I would certainly be open to your opinions and criticisms of my logic.
I've enjoyed
your viewpoints in this forum in the past and hope to in the future. But to
infer that I
have taken a pot shot at Gary's integrity (or anyone else's on the list) is an
unfair and
could be viewed as an inflammatory statement. In my post I went to great
lengths to try and
avoid any personal criticism of those who enjoy selling on eBay.  In fact if
you had
bothered to read the next sentence of my post you would have seen that I stated
that I would
not hesitate for one second to purchase any thing from Gary (or probably any
one else on the
list ... even you Barry!).  So your trying to attack me and accuse me of taking
a pot shot
at Gary is not only unwarranted and inflammatory it is a childish and immature
way of
debating your point.  It only lends less credence to your argument. And because
it appears
that instead of debating the point fairly, you have to fall to the level of
using
inflammatory statements.  It does not work on me and I will call you on it or
anyone else
who has to drop to those tactics.  Hopefully you will see my point here. I also
hope that we
are all mature enough to disagree in an intelligent and mature way. It
certainly takes the
fun out of this when one uses personal assaults one another.

Gary if you feel that I took a pot shot at your integrity please let me know
and I will
apologize. It certainly was not meant that way and I would have hoped everyone
on this list
was intelligent enough see the point I was trying to make. Gary and I have had
different
opinions about eBay in the past and I'm sure we will in the future.  I
certainly respect his
opinions and have never taken any of them as personal attacks. Nor have I felt
that anyone
has attacked me in the past.  I see this as a forum of differing opinions.
Everyone is
entitled to their own opinion and should feel free to discuss them with out
having to resort
to personal flames.

The only other thing I want to add here is again defending my position on eBay.
Barry your
precautions on buying online are very logical and make good business sense.
However it
seems to make work out of something that one should not even have to think
about.  If I had
to do an investigation on every one I engage in business with then I would be
in the
investigation business. About 10% (or less) of my income is derived from
actually holding a
camera and shooting.  So I look at all of my equipment purchases as having to
justify
themselves to a high degree on economics.  Normally if I need something  for a
job my first
step is to call B&H and have it in 2 days or less.  If they don't have it in
stock I may
start calling other mail order houses. If I find out the item is no longer
available as new,
I start calling some of the local area San Diego camera shops. If that does not
work I
usually figure out another item which will work even if I have to borrow a
whole new rig.
On occasion when I am purchasing film or other photo supplies I will inquire
about use OM
gear.  Sometimes I get very lucky by being in the right place at the right
time.  Over the
years I have scored some really good deals this way.  If any of you recall one
of my better
deals was a 9- OM3 for $150 or $175 in 1992/93.  So knowing the local pro shops
and them
knowing I'm the only pro around who still uses OM stuff has helped me aquire
some pretty
good stuff at or around their cost. I once recently asked the owner of a shop
why doesn't he
try to sell some of this cool used stuff on eBay.  His remark was that it's not
worth his
effort or time. Just remember because you like eBay and the hype says it's
popular don't
assume that everyone shares your opinion.

Respectively
Phillip Franklin