[OM] soccer

Subject: [OM] soccer
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:34:01 -0800 (PST)
========================
My daughters are about to start soccer (football for the rest of you).
They've never played, which means I've never shot it.  I have almost
unrelated questions:

1) What film would most people recommend (color, don't flame me).  Normally
I would expect clear bright skys but want to stop the action.

2) Lens choice:  My thinking is my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 one-touch.  Seem
reasonable?
========================

It is a tad slow (an f/2.8 lens would be better) but since you already
own it, it is a reasonable choice. the f/3.5 zoom will be easier to
manage, lighter weight.

For color negatives, Fuji Superia 800 rated at EI 640 is what I would
shoot.   If you need shallower DOF on a bright day, you can rate
it at EI 400 too and results are quite good.   if it is bright
enough out and you want a slightly finer-grained film, go with
Fuji Superia 400 (ideally rated at EI 320 but works well anywhere
from EI 200 to 400).

For color slides, you can push process Kodak E200  if you need the
speed.  But I wouldn't shoot E200 at EI200 as Fuji Provia 100F
pushed 1 stop is better than E200 at normal development.

while shallow DOF can help blur the background and add pop to an
image of sports frozen in time, less shallow DOF will save you from
focusing errors that are going to arise from the limited time to
shoot.  I would definitely prefer autofocus for sports photography,
but it can be done  with manual focus.  You'll get the hang of how
accurately you can focus on action and find the max f-stop you can shoot at
from that.   One trick is to focus on an area of the field a priori,
then wait for hte action to move into the area, instead of trying
to follow the action.

Joseph