Re: [OM] the future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of OM
From: Jim Mueller <webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:01:32 -0600
NOTHING lasts forever. But I still believe the OM System will have a longer life
than almost any other platform you can think of.

Consider this. Had you bought an Canon Rebel G and lens for $400 last year,
then,
after Canon comes out with the Rebel 2000, with more focusing zones, what do you
think your used Rebel G is worth?

Those modern auto-everything 35mm SLRs hang their user-appeal mainly on the
latest chip technology. And we know how fast computer chips become obsolete.

Perhaps someday digital technology will put 35mm film into the realm of a 'mere
curiousity'. If that every happens, the all manual OM-1 will still have more
collector appeal as a classic camera of the '35mm film era', than a Canon Rebel
G.

JMWO
(just my worthless opinion)

jim mueller

ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 12/14/1999 4:25:28 PM EST, webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > As long as there is a thriving used market for OM equipment, the Oly
> platform
> >  will be around for another 30 years.
>
> Depends what you call "thriving". A few "hardcore" users/collectors does not
> make a system "thriving". Yes, OM stuff *may* be around another 30 years, but
> I doubt it. I feel that the primo used stuff will be gone in 10 years. After
> that, yes, you may find stuff to buy, but age will have taken its toll and I
> won't be interested in beat up "user" gear. I think another 30 years with the
> level of support now given by Olympus is fantasy. Without support, (read:
> something new,) OM gear will be looked on as a "curiosity" much like Oly Pen
> stuff is thought of by the majority of 35MM shooters.
> ( Yes, I know you can take great shots still with Pen stuff, but I wouldn't
> call it a viable option to most to use as their "system", you'll have to
> agree). Om gear will be just about forgotten before 30 years goes by. Just my
> opinion, of course. YMMV!
> Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm trying to look at it realistically.
>
> George S.

jim mueller