Re: [OM] the future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of OM
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:04:09 EST
In a message dated 12/13/99 3:23:26 PM Central Standard Time,
joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>  If they should decide to discontinue it, you'd most likely see a fire sale
>  on stuff with plumeting prices.
>
>  Just some thoughts.
>
>  Joseph

Could happen, but I think it already has happened. In the early to mid '90's
it was much easier to find rare Oly glass like the 250, 350, 40..and so on.
The prices then were very reasonable even in comparison to the much lower
list prices that existed then.  My take is that when Oly does give up on the
OM system, garden variety stuff will drop in price but the rare stuff will
retain much of its' value. Most people who have made a recent commitment to
expensive Oly equipment have done so with the realization that the system
will eventually disappear. If Oly pulled the plug tomorrow, would that make
the very few 250's and 350's prices drop substantially? Of course, there will
be a few panic stricken individuals who will sell immediately. Can you
imagine the feeding freenzy on this list and elsewhere if people offered
their 350's, 90's..or for that matter any lens, at truly bargain prices?
Gary Faulkenberry