Re: [OM] the future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of OM
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:06:50 EST
In a message dated 12/14/1999 4:25:28 PM EST, webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> As long as there is a thriving used market for OM equipment, the Oly
platform
>  will be around for another 30 years.

Depends what you call "thriving". A few "hardcore" users/collectors does not
make a system "thriving". Yes, OM stuff *may* be around another 30 years, but
I doubt it. I feel that the primo used stuff will be gone in 10 years. After
that, yes, you may find stuff to buy, but age will have taken its toll and I
won't be interested in beat up "user" gear. I think another 30 years with the
level of support now given by Olympus is fantasy. Without support, (read:
something new,) OM gear will be looked on as a "curiosity" much like Oly Pen
stuff is thought of by the majority of 35MM shooters.
( Yes, I know you can take great shots still with Pen stuff, but I wouldn't
call it a viable option to most to use as their "system", you'll have to
agree). Om gear will be just about forgotten before 30 years goes by. Just my
opinion, of course. YMMV!
Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm trying to look at it realistically.

George S.