[OM] The Freezer Test - Mixed Results

Subject: [OM] The Freezer Test - Mixed Results
From: Jim Mueller <webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:58:34 -0600
I tried the freezer test on my OM-1. I left it in my freezer compartment
of my refrigerator for around 2 hours. This may seem extreme but the
winters in Wisconsin can get down to below -25 sometimes. On windless
nights, even twenty below can be tolerable if you dress for it. On such
cold crisp black nights, astrophotography can give incredible results.

After taking the camera out of the freezer, the shutter worked at "B",
and all speeds from about 1/30 to 1/1000. However, the slower speeds
from 1 sec to 1/15 did not work at all, until the camera warmed up a
bit.

Is this an indication that the camera needs a good cleaning and lube by
a professional?

For astrophotography, the "B" setting is most important shutter setting,
followed by the slower speeds. It would be nice to have those 1sec to
1/15 speeds. However, I could live without them.

My former Canon FTBn worked at *ANY* temperature extreme. But it was
relatively huge and weighed a ton.

Should I get my OM-1 cleaned, lubricated, and checked out??
--
jim mueller