Re: [OM] The Freezer Test - Mixed Results - WD-40??

Subject: Re: [OM] The Freezer Test - Mixed Results - WD-40??
From: "earthlink" <catsmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:49:14 -0800
Ok, Ive held off saying anything about this hoping WD40 would go away, but
this thread persists.
I have been told that WD40 has paraffin(wax) in it, this is what the "oily"
but more like gummy residue is. Like as discussed by the others, WD40 is not
made to be a lubricant, even though it seems like it is when it comes out of
the can. The smell of it also reminds one that it is oil and therefore can
be used as oil. I would not ever use WD40 for anything critical, expensive,
and certainly not camera parts.

Turbine oil, which is what is in those zoom spout 4 ounce oilers, is a very
good light oil which can be used for gun oil, and might work ok for tiny
parts. Turbine oil is what 3 in 1 oil should be but is not. 3 in 1 oil is
another of those oils that is reported to use a paraffin in it.
Catmaster