Re: <WOB>[OM] Freon. See, I finally changed the topic!

Subject: Re: <WOB>[OM] Freon. See, I finally changed the topic!
From: Dirk and Carla Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:32:21 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 8:19 PM -0400 9/18/99, Denton Taylor wrote:
>>>But the points about this negotiated ban that bug me are: once again
>(like the OM-1) there was no 'grandfather' clause - people with freon
>A/Cs in their cars are totally screwed.  Unless, of course, they have
>the money (about $2000 US) to convert their systems to the new stuff. So
>who suffers from this? Why, the usual suspects - **the poor folks**.  >>
>
>Hmm, I'm not sure if you are correct. I belive it is legal to use freon in
>older equipment, just not legal to manufacture any more of it. Also (and this
>I'm sure of) you have to be licensed to handle it.

However, it is an open-book test to obtain a license. Not very difficult to
pass. <g>

 Personally, I
>take my cut; the new stuff eats cheap gasketing like crazy!

The R12 "drop-in" replacements have numerous pitfalls like th one you
mention. Try and put R134a into an R12 system in you car, and it will all
leak out through the hoses, since the new stuff is a smaller molecule.
Also, the oils used to lube the comressor for R12 are distructively
incompatatble with the oil required for R134a.

This is part of why I am ditching my old vintage cars for a new, leased
Saturn. No headaches and cold AC! I'm also interested in an electric car
called the Sparrow.

But, unless they have come up with a compact flourescent light bulb that
fits in old fixtures and recessed ceiling lights, I can't use them. I like
the color of halogen lights anyway.

OM content - I shot a roll of Tmax 400 using yellow and green filters (not
at the same time). Mostly I like shooting in the early morning, and I like
sculpture and architecture as subjects. My wife did a "geese" project
today. I went along and shot some "royal gold" ("royal treatment"??) 400.
What with the increased UV penetration from all that R12 leaking out of old
cars driven by poor people which R12 regulations were adamantly resisted by
the military industrial complex, I used a UV/haze #1 filter (passes 400V
I believe) instead of the usual UV/slylight. I use Tiffen filters. I may
try the #2 UV/haze sometime. Do UV filters improve/alter/maim B&W film???

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright