Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 12:48:57 +0200
>I agree with you in spirit. And in action, most times.  But in this
>case, the batteries are already manufactured, I need them, so I use
>them.  My OM-1 meter would not have fried if 1) I had paid more
>attention to the PX625A battery label - gee, why are they calling it 'A'
>now?  **OR** 2) The batteries were not banned in the first place.

Sorry, I missed the start of the thread.  I agree: if it is already made,
use up the stocks.

>As for CFC bans, that's probably a good thing, but all the evidence
>isn't in yet. It's my understanding that the ozone hole down under is
>still growing?  But the points about this negotiated ban that bug me
>are: once again (like the OM-1) there was no 'grandfather' clause -
>people with freon A/Cs in their cars are totally screwed.  Unless, of
>course, they have the money (about $2000 US) to convert their systems to
>the new stuff. So who suffers from this? Why, the usual suspects - **the
>poor folks**.

I dispute your implication that everyone has a right to drive a car ... and
therefore why should they be penalised with a retrospective piece of
environmental  legislation.  Of course, I would not have enjoyed being one
of the "poor folks" who were hit with the choice so it's "easy" for me to
take the high moral tone when I'm not the one paying ...

Also, the ban is not worldwide I'm sure you know.  Only
>the 'industrialized' countries are subject to it.  (I don't have the
>entire list but I know it's all of Europe, plus here US and Canada.)
>Here, Mexico is not subject, but we are.  So where does Mexico and the
>rest of the freon folks get their fix?  Why from Clinton's favorite
>country: CHINA. They no make almost all of the worlds supply of freon
>now.  And boy are they making money off it.  Course, thousands of jobs
>were lost here, but what the hell, global economy and all.  (After all,
>tell me, if the freon is gonna be made anyway, why did the manufacturing
>have to shift from here to there?) Just a passing thought.
>
>George

Yes, a disappointing state of affairs I agree.  I'm not one for
untrammelled free trade and the completely global economy.  Free trade only
suits the producers of goods with a monopoly or the mulitnationals (for
instance the GMO researchers).  E.g. Nike's Asian factories operate with
cheaper labour because the local circumstances are different.   A case in
point is the erstwhile slate industry of North Wales.  Cheap Polish slate
has caused the collapse of the indigenous industry - for what purpose?  I
should be equally irritated at the movement of freon production to a
country with an indifferent attitude to human rights at the cost of local
jobs.

End of rant.  I do like the global economy when it allows me to buy cheap
goods  such as OM stuff outside the UK of course - sorry for the hypocrisy
;-).

Chris