[OM] Freon. See, I finally changed the topic!

Subject: [OM] Freon. See, I finally changed the topic!
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:19:04 -0400
>>But the points about this negotiated ban that bug me are: once again
(like the OM-1) there was no 'grandfather' clause - people with freon
A/Cs in their cars are totally screwed.  Unless, of course, they have
the money (about $2000 US) to convert their systems to the new stuff. So
who suffers from this? Why, the usual suspects - **the poor folks**.  >>

Hmm, I'm not sure if you are correct. I belive it is legal to use freon in
older equipment, just not legal to manufacture any more of it. Also (and this
I'm sure of) you have to be licensed to handle it. That is why you don't find
it at Wal-Mart. Therefore a licensed mechanic can buy freon that has been
scavanged/recycled from older equipment and fix your car with it. However as
the stocks of freon decline the price rises accordingly. I also understand
there is a big trade from Mexico in illicit freon.

As far as the poor getting screwed, here's where it gets interesting. In some
ways, these poor folk spew more pollutants into the atmosphere than rich folks
(altho of course the rich are guilty of consuming more). It's poor folk that
are driving those old unmaintained beaters that pollute fifty times more than
your newest yuppiemobile. Conservatives have pointed out that it would be
cheaper to buy back all these junkers than to keep raising standards for new
cars.

Also, here in NYC, most office buildings have been forced to make a very
expensive choice. They must retrofit their old chillers to use the new
refrigerants, or buy new ones. But in either case the owners of these office
buildings, none of whom are poor, are facing six-figure outlays. Personally, I
take my cut; the new stuff eats cheap gasketing like crazy!

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at