Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 09:50:47 -0700

Chris Barker wrote:

> >Long time ago, wasn't it mentioned that  the reason for banning mercury
> >items was mainly to keep the people who made them from being exposed to
> >mercury and not what happened to the items after they were "spent"?
> >
> >John
> >Camtech / Olympus Service since 1977
>
> My opinion, for what it is worth, is that every little bit helps.  For
> instance, you might say that my reminding my two sons to switch off their
> lights (60Watt bulbs) in their bedrooms is merely nagging and will not help
> with reducing energy usage in any significant way, but if everyone in a
> country did the same, the result *would* be significant.  Getting rid of
> the ozone-destroying refrigerants was significant once the legislators in
> the various continents had got their acts together.
>
> Chris

Chris;

I agree with you in spirit. And in action, most times.  But in this
case, the batteries are already manufactured, I need them, so I use
them.  My OM-1 meter would not have fried if 1) I had paid more
attention to the PX625A battery label - gee, why are they calling it 'A'
now?  **OR** 2) The batteries were not banned in the first place.

As for CFC bans, that's probably a good thing, but all the evidence
isn't in yet. It's my understanding that the ozone hole down under is
still growing?  But the points about this negotiated ban that bug me
are: once again (like the OM-1) there was no 'grandfather' clause -
people with freon A/Cs in their cars are totally screwed.  Unless, of
course, they have the money (about $2000 US) to convert their systems to
the new stuff. So who suffers from this? Why, the usual suspects - **the
poor folks**.  Also, the ban is not worldwide I'm sure you know.  Only
the 'industrialized' countries are subject to it.  (I don't have the
entire list but I know it's all of Europe, plus here US and Canada.)
Here, Mexico is not subject, but we are.  So where does Mexico and the
rest of the freon folks get their fix?  Why from Clinton's favorite
country: CHINA. They no make almost all of the worlds supply of freon
now.  And boy are they making money off it.  Course, thousands of jobs
were lost here, but what the hell, global economy and all.  (After all,
tell me, if the freon is gonna be made anyway, why did the manufacturing
have to shift from here to there?) Just a passing thought.

George