Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:01:49 -0700
This is my last comment on the list on this topic. (No applause needed.)

This was in yesterday's news:

*** Mercury found in Midwest rain

CHICAGO (AP) - Rain contaminated with mercury from coal-fired
electric plants is fouling Midwest lakes and rivers, according to a
report released by environmental groups. Mercury is showing up in
Chicago rainfall at levels 42 times greater than federal standards
have considered safe, according to Andrew Buchsbaum of the National
Wildlife Federation. Mercury levels in rain are even higher in
Detroit and Duluth, Minn., he said. Separately, New York state's
attorney general was taking legal action Wednesday against 17
Midwestern coal-fired electric plants, saying their pollution has
contaminated air in the Northeast for years. See
http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561169453-1fd

This reinforces my point that environmental tokenism is going on. Restrict
mercury batteries to a small minority of photographers who use old manual
cameras and appear to be doing something about the environment. However
large corporations are essentially spewing tons of mercury into the air and
one has to resort to the courts. If big tobacco is any measure they should
have this fixed about 2025.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx