RE: [OM] Tripod help......

Subject: RE: [OM] Tripod help......
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:48:18 -0400
Shari,
Some thoughts on your "tripod wishes".
1. Have you considered the Bogen Junior?  It is very light weight and has
the locks you like.  However, it comes with a non-detachable head.
2. The Magic Arm model 2930 is rather difficult to use, the clamp activating
lever is hard to move sometimes to get the arm to lock.  I use 2 of the
Magic Arms for demonstration aids for some products I use in Workshops I
conduct.  The Variable Friction Arm #2930 is much easier to use and is a
little less expensive.  If I were doing it over, I'd buy the Variable
Friction model instead.
3. I have seen the Magic Arm in stores once in a while used, but never on
Ebay, but...
4. Have you considered using a monopod and attaching it to your wheelchair
with velcro strapping?  You could have a tube arrangement that would let you
insert the monopod through the tube or just simply attach it to the chair
arm.  Tighten the velcro strap and there you are.  The chair wheels would
give you a solid base when you lock the wheels.
5. Depending on how sturdy the chair arm is, the Super Clamp could be the
way to go.  I use these in conjunction with the Magic Arms. They are quite
sturdy and grip about anything.
6. I believe the Quantaray tripod is made by Vanguard.  It isn't
particularly sturdy ( I bought one to use for demonstrations before I went
the Bogen Super Clamp/Magic Arm route.  I doubt if there is enough
substantial material left if the head were removed, but you might be able to
convince a machine shop to attach a decent plate to the tube of the center
column.  I would ask them to TIG weld it to the tube and give you a 3/8"
stud mounted in the center of the plate.  Then you could attach the 3030
head to the plate.  Give them the 3030 head so they know the best length of
stud to put into the plate.
7. The Bogen 3001 tripod leg set might also be a good way to go.  Sturdier
than the Junior and has the style of leg locks you like.  In fact, I think
all the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods now have that locking mechanism.

If I can help any more, or really confuse you, let me know!

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi there,

      I don't write on here much but have been reading.  With all the talk
on tripods lately, I was wondering if anyone could give me some help/ideas
on my problem?
<snip, snip>