Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:41:09 -0700
George ranted justificably:

-snip

>OK, rant over. My point?  The effect of a couple hg batteries over 20
>years can not be compared to the gallon of MTBE-laden gas I burn every
>22 miles. Am I hypocritical about it? Probably. Am I rationalizing? Yes.
>Do I think these 2 batteries are going to destroy the planet for my
>children? No. Corruption, greed, and our politicians will do that.
>
>George

It is my pleasure to agree with George.  Having been an environmentalist
fellow traveler since my twenties, it really bothers me to see a simple
mercury cell outlawed as some sort of symbolic action when there are
literally tons of metallic mercury lying at the bottom of waterways all
over North America, any where there has been a paper pulp plant. It is
already irretrievable and the best estimates are that the natural processes
needed to convert it to toxic methyl mercury and poison many of the US and
Canadian water systems is about a 100 years.  Perhaps it will finally
become an issue in the elections of the later 21st century. Hopefully we
will have the technology to deal with it then.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx