Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:43:11 -0700
>From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>

>Personally I think that rechargeable batteries are a good choice for
>the T-32, but that it is more economical to keep the winder running on
>cheap alkalines.

This is only true if you don't use it very often! The "break even" point
for the cheapest alkalines and the cheapest NiCd batteries is only about 10
uses or less, and properly-used NiCd batteries will last many hundreds of
charges. However, NiCd batteries have less capacity than alkalines, so you
have to change them more often.

Nicel-metal-hydride batteries are more expensive, and so the break-even
point is probably more like 30-40 uses, but they also hold more than NiCd
cells -- nearly as much as alkalines. As Frank pointed out, they have a
higher self-discharge rate, of about 10er day, so you don't want to leave
them sit in an unused winder.

Finally, there are rechargable alkalines. They have the desirable
characteristics of normal alkalines, but are designed to be recharged at
least 25 times, possibly many more. The are relatively cheap, and so their
break-even is only 3 or 4 uses.

I can understand you might not like some of the characteristics of
rechargeables, but economy should not be a valid argument, unless you know
someone in the disposable alkaline business, and get them for at least 90%
off!

On an environmental basis, disposable alkalines are indefensable. They are
a major source of toxic pollutants leaching out of disposal sites. If the
cost of disposal were factored in, I'll bet they would not be so cheap. If
you must use them, please take them to a toxic disposal site when you
discard them.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229