Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:00:09 -0700
>From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
>
>On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:43:11 -0700, Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>snip...snip...
>
>>I can understand you might not like some of the characteristics of
>>rechargeables, but economy should not be a valid argument, unless you know
>>someone in the disposable alkaline business, and get them for at least 90%
>>off!
>
>Alkaline AA cells cost usually only $0.40 each when bought per dozen.

Rechargeable alkaline cells cost about $1.25 to $1.50, thus my statement
that the break-even point is 3 or 4 charges.

>For 1.60 I can fill my winder with enough energy for 30 rolls of film,
>probably more.

For $6, you can fill your winder with enough energy for 30 rolls of film,
then for $0, you can fill it again, and again, and again, and again...

They do require a special charger. My first charger came with a set of four
batteries for $20. Later I bought a bigger charger that will do up to 8
cells of any size in any combination for about $25. I plead guilty for not
factoring in the charger cost in the break-even analysis... :-)

They do last longer if you recharge them before they go completely dead. If
you always put a freshly charged set in the winder when you go on an
important shoot, you won't be sucking them completely dry, and they'll last
longer, and you'll still get 30 rolls of film if you really need it.

Perhaps these aren't available in Holland. They were invented in Canada,
and sold there for many years under the "Pure Energy" brand. Rayovac bought
the technology license, and now markets them in America under the "Renewal"
brand. They come in all standard sizes. The last 4-pack of AAs I bought
cost $5.39 at Fry's Electronics.

I still have the first set that I bought in Canada in 1995, before you
could get them in the US. I would guess they've been charged a couple dozen
times, and they still behave like a normal alkaline.

They're either improving their technology, or their marketing. A pack I
bought a year ago claims "Recharges 25 times or more." The pack I bought
last week says "Recharges 100 times or more."

>>On an environmental basis, disposable alkalines are indefensable...
>
>All dead batteries are supposed to be kept separated from other waste
>in our country...

Yes, I realize that most civilized countries require this. My comments were
mainly for those who live in English-speaking countries. :-(

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229