Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:50:55 -0500
[snip ongoing discussion of batteries]

One reason to use NiCd batteries in your flash units is a faster recycle
time.  Even though NiCd batteries have a lower voltage than alkalines, they
are able to deliver much more current.  (ever wonder why NiCd batteries get
warm?)

In my Vivitar flash, freshly recharged NiCd batteries will give me a
0%
                      charge in 4-5 seconds, wheras fresh alkalines will do it
in 9-10
seconds.  I used to have (until stolen) a Vivitar NiCd external battery
pack that would recharge the flash in less than a second (full power).
They didn't recommend doing a sequence more than 20 flashes though as
things got pretty toasty.  They discontinued the unit after only a couple
years as too many Vivitar 283/285 flashes were fried before warrenty ran
out.  I know a couple photojournalists who still use the old Vivitar units
though as mated with the 283 on 1/4 power it is the only flash that can
deliver a 36 exposure roll at up to 5 frames per second.

Ken (would you like sunscreen with that flash,sir?) Norton

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography, Broadcast Consulting and Audio Engineering

image66@xxxxxxx
(515) 791-2306