RE: [OM] NiMH Batteries

Subject: RE: [OM] NiMH Batteries
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:44:33 -0400
Chip Stratton stated:
At the
> same time, due to their lower voltage than alkalines, NiCads might not
* charge such a flash to its maximum voltage and output.
*
Then Bob Sull stated:
While I agree with the "current" portion of this post I must ask this.

Are you saying that when the "flash ready" light comes on, it really isn't
ready?  What happens when an alkaline battery pack becomes depleted?  What
does
the "flash ready" light mean then?

An old trick we used to use to demonstrate flash cycle time:
Find an AM radio.  Tune it between stations.  Turn on your flash and hold it
near the radio with the volume set so you can hear the oscillator of the
flash.  Trip the flash.  Listen to the radio/oscillator at the same time
watching the Flash Ready Light.
Well-designed flash units (not with specs from Marketing) will show Flash
Ready Light at virtually same time the oscillator stops whining.
The important thing is when the oscillator stops, the flash is recharged.
The Flash Ready Light may not be accurate, but the charge circuit through
the oscillator is the determining factor.

Brian P. Huber

bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx
Troy, OH