Re: [OM] F280 vs 3rd party Fill Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 vs 3rd party Fill Flash
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:15:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Barry B. Bean wrote:

> I'm waiting on my F280 manual to arrive from Olympus, but in the
> meantime, maybe someone can tell me the difference between a synced
> F280 flash at, say, 1/250 and my 3rd party (Kalimar) 1/16 fill flash
> at the same speed?

  With the Kalimar you will only get a section of the frame, because
the rest will be occluded by the shutter curtain. It's not the power
of the flash, but the F280's specially designed sequence of microflash
bursts, designed to cover the movements of the shutter curtain.

 Presumably, since there's enough light for the
> camera to be shooting at 1/250, both flashes are fulfilling the same
> function, right? And either way, my Om-4T will be using its OTF
> metering and close the shutter when enough light has registered,
> right?

  NO. See above. Plus, I am not sure that you should be shooting with
the Kalimar (unless it is OM-dedicated), you might fry the circuitry.
  As far as tilting flash heads, the Sunpaks have them (my Mystery flash
works perfectly, but alas, doesn't work with the confirmation light,
which means it will see non-dedicated duty only), and so do the Metz.
  But assuming that the Kalimar is dedicated, don't take my word for it,
or anyone else's, try this at home. DO your own experiments, waste
a few frames to see and learn a few things for yourself. This is what the
left-over end-of-roll shots are for.

                           *= Doris Fang =*

Ps.  Do the Metz units work with the confirmation light inside OM2n's,
PC's, etc ?