[OM] Completely OT/Deutschland, uber alles!

Subject: [OM] Completely OT/Deutschland, uber alles!
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:17:32 +0100
Gary Schloss wrote:

> Richard Schaetzl wrote:
>
> >Gary Schloss wrote:
> >
> >> Hmm, being Germany's financial and transportation capital, Frankfurt (FRA)
> >> is probably the most American looking city in Europe, skyscrapers and all.
> >
> >Not really.
>
> Well then, what is YOUR nomination for the most American-looking European
> city?  I am curious...

Of course Mr. Schloss knows every European city.
I guess the US American members of the list will agree to the opinion,
that there is no comon shared opinion how an "American-looking" town has
to look. So someone can discus this endless.
But fact is, that one of the comon cliches of Frankfurt is that of
"Mainhatten" (Main is the river flowing through Frankfurt). Despite the
fact that there are some spectacular skyscrapers in Frankfurt, I guess
every self-respecting New Yorker would agree, that Frankfurt doesn´t
look and is like New York.

> >> As such, it is not terribly photogenic,

I have seen more photo reportages about Frankfurt than about Neuschwanstein,
the castle which is considered as very photogenic. So maybe it depends
on someones expectation what´s photogenic.

> >Been there?
>
> Yes, about 10-15 times, although admittedly not in the last 2-3 years.

Changing the planes?

> >> However, FRA is a lively, vibrant city with a large immigrant population
> >> -- a fact that irks many Germans,
> >
> >What..? Do you confuse Frankfurt with your hometown?
>
> I don't think so.  AFAIK, FRA is only second to Berlin in the number of
> foreigners/immigrants in Germany.

I guess Mr. Schloss stayed long enough in Frankfurt and Germany to make
his profound analysis of the relationship between Germans and imigrants,
because Mr. Schloss would never easily denounce an whole population as
xenophobes.
He would only talk about things he knows very well, like his hometown.

> Btw, I wonder how many times was Mr. Schaetzl in LA, or in the US for
> that matter.

I don´t have to be been in the USA, because I don´t made an statement
about Los Angeles or the USA

>Foreign travel is such a mind opener...

As an European, I had extensive oportunities to travel abroad.

Regards

Richard

-- Wer im Glashaus sitzt sollte nicht mit Steinen werfen --