Re: [OM] Deutschland, uber alles!

Subject: Re: [OM] Deutschland, uber alles!
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:18:51 +0100
Scj9000@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Mahlon, get thee hence to the south..Bavaria, ah sweet Bavaria! I highly
> recommend a stroll thru Nurnberg (old medievil fortress and inner city with
> lots of charm, wunderbar bratwurst stands on every corner,

Yeah realy, Nürnbergs inner city nearly perfectly keept his medivial
aperiance. In the churches you will find many pieces of Riemenschneiders
wood carving art along with works of the famous painter A. Dürer, most
famous son of the city.

> war history all
> voer as 'twas home of the Nazi party,

Not realy, NSDAP was fonded 1919 in Munich, a city you should visit if
you are in the area.

> super Christkinder's Mart in Dec,

Christkindels Markt (Christ child market) will be over in January.

>great
> schnitzel and beer...yum....)

Hmm Schnitzel is more a Italian speciality (scalopina milanese, spelling
OK Marco?) even it is very poular in Germany and missadressed as Wiener
Schnitzel.

> a little farther south... Rothenburg and Oberammergau are fabulous for
> photography and beer..and below that you have the whole conucopia of the Alps
> (and beer).

Beside the good beer nearly every town in Germany has, Frankfurts local
speciality is Äpelwoi (Cidre, apple wine), however more apropiate to the
temperatures will be Glühwein (punch with spices) and some sweets, hot
maroni (Kastanien, fried chestnuts).

> And forget you not how close you are to Florence! A mere few hours nap on the
> train! (nope..no beer..but vino!!)

Close is relative in Europe, ie, there are no big distances to cover to
travel from one place to the other, but you may cover big distances
culturaly and historicaly.
It takes a day to travel by train to Italy, there is to much to see on
the way. Skiping it would be an sacrileg, so better limit yourself to
surounding places.
Firenze will be more pleasant to visit in spring.
Beside this, Frankfurt is close to the wine growing regions of Germany
at the Mosel, Rhein, so if you are lusting for wine instead of beer you
will have no problem to satisfy this.

> Lived there for four years...dragged my Om1 and om2 to ever inch that i could
> for those four years....a gorgeous assignment! take me! :=)
> Susan Steele
> PS if you're going this time of year...take down boots and down stadium coat!
> I mean it!

Thin gloves will come handy, if you´re photographing in the cold.

Regards

Richard