Re: [OM] Completely OT/Deutschland...

Subject: Re: [OM] Completely OT/Deutschland...
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 15:20:00 -0800
WARNING!!  LOADS OF OFF-TOPIC BLABBER!!  PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Richard Schaetzl wrote:

>Of course Mr. Schloss knows every European city.

and also:

>> >Been there [in FRA]?
>>
>> Yes, about 10-15 times.
>
>Changing the planes?

Come on, Richard!  Surely an intelligent guy like youself can come
back with some less pathetic lines, or at least with funnier ones...
:-)

>I guess Mr. Schloss stayed long enough in Frankfurt and Germany to
>make his profound analysis

Actually, I have.  First, I took part in student exchange programs
in West Germany TWICE, each time for a period of two months, and both
times -- not far from FRA (once in Stuttgart, and 2nd time -- on the
Rhein just north of Mainz).

Second, I had travelled extensively in West Germany and Berlin, both
on business and for pleasure.  Third, I am fairly fluent in German,
though not as fluent as I used to be when my grandmother was alive.

Finally, there are only few large Western European cities I have NOT
been to: Lisbon, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Naples, Turin, Liege, Dortmund,
Dublin, Glasgow, and most of England's "rust belt".

I believe such background should gain me at least some credibility in
this debate.

>because Mr. Schloss would never easily denounce an whole population
>as xenophobes.

I have done no such thing!  Pls reread my original statement: "many"
doesn't mean "all", and "to irk" means "to irritate" or "to annoy",
not "to kill, slash, and burn".

Moreover, I hope you are not trying to imply here that all Germans
are xenophiles.  Such a claim would be a laughable attempt to rewrite
the history of the 20-th century.

>I guess the US members of the list will agree that there is no common
>shared opinion [as to] how an "American-looking" town has to look.

Actually, with few exceptions, most large US cities look like they
were cut from the same sheepcloth (or was it: "cloned from the same
sheep named Dolly"? :-)).  The exceptions are NYC, Washington, DC,
San Francisco, New Orleans, etc.

>I guess every self-respecting New Yorker would agree

There is no such thing as "self-respecting Noo Yawker", and no two
Noo Yawkers ever agree on ANYTHING, except for maybe agreeing to
disagree, and to disrespect everyone else who's not from New York.
A special disdain is saved for everyone and everything Noo Joisey.
:-) :-)

P.S. I should probably stay out of the tourism promotion business,
as my humble, innocuous musings seem to upset the natives. :-)

Peace,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx